Monday, April 25, 2011

Engaged Games

This week in class, all the students and I divided into groups of four and each took a section in Brian Solis's Engage. For this assignment, each group created a study guide and interactive game to play with the entire class. I thought this was a helpful and fun activity! The study guides helped me highlight the key points in the book and the game allowed me to better retain the information. My group was assigned to examine Part 4.

My group and I thought that the 10 Rules of Engagement must go on the study guide. These rules can be found on page 190 in the text. Similar rules have been identified in some of the other books we have been reading. The Rules are extremely important, and if remembered, can truly help someone be a strong social media force.

Another piece of information my group and I found to be important was the list of the divisions of social media found on page 218. There are seven different workforces in the field of public relations that Solis highlighted in Part 4 of the text. These divisions are: 
  • Customer or product support
  • Product and sales
  • Marketing/PR
  • Community
  • Corporate communications
  • Crisis
  • Support 
These divisions seem to be broken down by different areas of expertise a professional can work. Another area we expanded on were the examples of Blogsearch engines, which can be found on page 237. Some of the search engines that were pointed on in the text have been mentioned in class. However, Solis listed some my group and I had not heard of before, such as BackType and Twingly. The group and I thought highlighting these searchengines would be a helpful tool we could all use as relatively new bloggers.

The last portion of the text my group and I added to the study guide was the information printed on pages 220-225. These five pages are about the elements of the conversation index. There are four pieces of the conversation index: listening, documentation, presentation and observation. The conversation index is also an applicable tool my classmates and I can use.


I thought this activity was fun and interesting. The games that were played resembled wheel of fortune, hangman and a true and false questioning game. Our professor gave away prizes to the winners of the games. Not only did I learn the information, I was super excited when I won the Wheel of Fortune/hangman game!

No comments:

Post a Comment