Saturday, April 16, 2011

Oh Great and Powerful Webmaster

This week I read the ninth chapter in David Scott's The New Rules of Marketing and PR. This chapter focused on web-based communication, which for me, is an unknown world. Looking back, I wish I could have fit a web design class into my schedule somewhere, because I believe learning the tools to create, design, and manage a Web site would be phenomenal. In fact, this week we started the election process for our PRSSA chapter, and one of the positions few students were quick to pursue was "Webmaster and Historian." So what does a Webmaster actually do? Thanks to Scott, I now know.

According to Scott, "at many companies, Webmasters-the kings of technology-focus all their attention on cool software plug-ins, on HTML, XML, and all sorts of other 'MLs; and on nitty-gritty stuff like server technology and Internet Service Providers." Sounds complicated. Scott makes an interesting point further in the chapter about the content of the Web site. Is the Webmaster in charge of producing all of the content too? Not always, however this is the most important part of a Web site. Scott stated, "the best Web sites focus primarily on content to pull together their carious buyers, markets, media, and products in one comprehensive place where content is not only king, but president, and Pope as well." It is clear that developing new and fresh content for a Web site is the key to whether or not the site is successful at reaching the target audience and properly disseminating the message.

Scott continued to emphasize the importance of knowing and understanding the buyers. Once the Web master has a clear concept of the needs, wants, and demands of the buyers, this information should be used to create a Web site. After reading more about what goes into creating and maintaining a Web site, one thing is clear. The people that do this well must have a passion for this. I wish I had the Web site design knowledge in my arsenal of skills as I prepare to enter the professional world. I think people who do are very fortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment