Sunday, April 3, 2011

Me Me Me...MEMES!

This week, our readings focused on podcasts. I was excited to learn more about podcasts because this is one area that is new to me. Reading The New Rules of Marketing and Public Relations by David Scott helped me gain a grasp on what exactly a podcast is, why it is useful and how to create one.

According to Scott, "a podcast is simply audio content connected to an RSS feed." Scott alost pointed out that "podcasts were created because of two developments. The first development was the ability to add audio feeds and notifications to RSS. The second major development was the availability of those podcast feeds through iTunes." I found this to be fascinating. Podcasts have created a way for organizations an outlet to place information that audiences can reach easily. Podcasts allow audience members to download the information and listen it to it when it is most convenient for them.

Scott stated a number of reasons why podcasts are helpful. One way that stuck out to me was "how-to" podcasts. Companies and organizations have created series of podcasts for customers to use that explain how to use new products. These have been proven to be helpful for customers and clearly informed them of proper use of the product.

The readings this week were interesting and helpful. To my surprise, the books we have been assigned to read are enjoyable. I feel like I am reading leisurely, not studying a textbook which is great. The deeper we dive into the readings about social media, the more engaged I am to participate.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not too sure if you read my blog, I feel like out generation doesn't have the time to sit there and just ... listen. Do you think this is a generational thing? Or maybe just a JP thing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think our generation is the masters of multi-tasking. We find time to listen to things while doing something else. For example, listening to a podcast while we run or work out. You're right in a way though, I barely have time to watch television, let alone just listen to a podcast. So, to answer your question, I think it's a little of both!

    ReplyDelete