Saturday, March 12, 2011

Where have the last four years gone?

Wow!

One quarter left...
10 weeks...
64 days...

Until college ends and I officially enter the "big girl world."

As excited and eager as I am to begin my professional career, I can't help but stop and look around at all the things I'm going to miss at ONU. I never thought I'd say it, but I'm even going to miss things in Ada. There are so many things here that have led me to where I am today. I've made countless memories and amazing friends, all while obtaining a spectacular education along the way.

All right, I need your help here. Before I started to write this blog, I tried to brainstorm all the random things that make Ohio Northern so unique. Here's what I came up with (and please comment if there's something I missed :-) )

*The Green Monster (3.5 outdoor cross country course that circles campus - I have a love/hate feelings toward it )
*Mac Attacks (...you know)
*Klondike (who else has a Polar Bear as a mascot...NO ONE)
*Black Swans (beautiful creatures but dangerously aggressive. Don't let them fool you)
*The Tundra (awesome grassy area smack in the middle of campus. A prime location for tanning when it's finally sunny in Ada)
*The Townies (aren't they wonderful? They may act like they hate us, I'm convinced there's no way they could)
*The ICE Buffers (those contraptions that Physical Plant bust out when it snows. The machines are supposed to brush away the snow but instead they move it around leaving just a small layer of snow covering the 2 inch layer of ice, making it invisible until it's too late and you've already taken an embarassing tumble)
*Where we have to buy our groceries (slightly random I know, but we have all purchased our groceries at either Rite-Aid, Community Market or Dollar General because we are too lazy to make the drive to Wal-Mart in Lima. Outrageously expensive...but convienent because those are the only places in the village)
*The Regal Beagle (Yes, our one and only magnificient hole-in-the-wall bar in town...can't knock it 'til you go there! It's not directly associated with ONU, however, this place helps ONU students every weekend, finals week and Tuesday evening deal with the demands of college)
*Student to Professor Ratio (One of the reasons I decided to come to ONU. The professors care about you and truly want you to succeed, I know for sure my friends at state schools cannot say the same)
*The Students (I know this is kind of cheesy, but it's true. We are a different breed of students. People are involved, ambitious, helpful and eager to make friends. These qualities accompanied with our kick butt education set us up to be incredibly successful)


Coming from good 'ol Howell, Michigan, I was a little worried about being tossed into the middle of a cornfield to go to college at for the next four years. Compared to all my friends who are attending big state schools, I became one of only 3,750 Polar Bears, and I could not be more happy with my decision.




Klondike

2 comments:

  1. Can we talk about the athletic dominance that ONU has enjoyed in our four years? The men and women sweeping the OAC All-Sports Trophies?

    How about hitting up "Club Heterick" every finals week? Just by calling it a Club, makes you feel a little better about spending so much time there.

    Getting a McDonalds? I remember that night like it was yesterday! Such a big deal for the townies and collegians alike.

    LIke you said, I'm sure there are more, but I feel like one or two of those can be added to your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about NOM? For a while all my friends and family at home thought we had a restaurant called "Vietnam" at school. That took some explaining.

    You know my favorite ONU term...PAC lab!

    ReplyDelete