Saturday, March 19, 2011

Decisions, decisions...

So I’m a little different from most people. I’m extremely indecisive, and I mean EXTREMELY. Big decisions, little predicaments…whether to eat a peanut butter and jelly or a turkey and cheese sandwich for lunch, dark or light jeans, whether to run or elliptical, what to do on a Friday night…you name it and I spend entirely too much time contemplating all the options and the affects that will occur from making a decision. I spend way more time than the average person anyway. One of the toughest decisions I’ve had to make was which college to attend. I applied to eight different schools and was accepted to each, which put my decision-making skills (lack of) to quite the test.
I decided half way through my senior year that I wanted to attend Grand Valley State University in Grand Rapids, Michigan. It’s a great school with the nicest campus I’ve ever seen. The housing options are unreal, no matter which complex you end up in you still got your own bedroom…NICE! But, because I am the way I am, I changed my mind two weeks after graduation (which meant no refunds on deposits = angry momma Keough.)
I took a chance and decided I wanted to move to a different state to go to a university that was three hours away, as big as my high school and smack in the middle of dozens of cornfields. I was worried I was going to hate it, but I knew I wanted to go to a good school that was in a new area with brand new people. I loved it the first couple months! At ONU, I made awesome friends, like my classes and majors and was having an absolute blast! However, when winter quarter rolled around this all changed. I got super home-sick and became frustrated with the classes I was taking (stupid gen eds).  This became so bad that I contacted GVSU and made plans to transfer out after the year was over.
However after tons of heart-to-hearts with my parents and friends, I changed my mind yet again and stayed at ONU. During this time I realized a couple of different things. One, I need to start making decisions, big and small, because the older I get the more important decisions are going to be. Two, just because things are difficult and you may be unhappy in a situation you may be in, it can turn around and completely change in no time. Three, I am so glad that I decided to stay at ONU. This has been a great place for me to go to college. The treasures, memories, friends and experiences I’ve made while I’ve been here are irreplaceable. They’ve helped mold me into the person I am today. In May, I’ll be walking away as a graduate of Ohio Northern University, and I couldn’t be more pleased with that decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment