Friday, April 22, 2011

Home Sweet Home

This blog post is a little different. Instead of writing the blog on my laptop while I'm sitting in my room, posted up in the PAC lab working on one of the Macs, I'm writing on my parent's desktop at home in wonderful Howell, Michigan. Since I have been home I have realized a couple of things.

One thing that hit me since being home, is this could be the last time I am home for a while. After graduation, I am planning on moving to Columbus to begin my professional career. Actually I plan on moving straight from Ada to Columbus the week after graduation. Columbus is a little less than four hours away from home, so while I am home this weekend, I am moving things to and from Ada. I am trying to sort through what I will need for my new apartment and what I can leave for my parents to sell in a garage sale. Knowing that I am officially moving out of my parents house in less than two months is a bitter sweet feeling. I am excited to be on my own, but it makes me appreciate home more than ever.

Another thing that I realized when I first walked in the door, is my house has a certain sort of smell that makes it "home." I am sure others can relate to this too, but there is a specific aroma that is different from other places I have been. It smells like the laundry detergent my family uses and the scent of my mom's favorite Bath and Body Works candle. This smell puts me at ease and instantly puts me into relaxation mode. I love it and I really am going to miss smelling it on a regular basis.

Since I have been, I have decided that I am getting a dog. My family and I have two dogs. One is $15 special from the pound who is a mix of nearly six different breeds of dog. His name is Buddy and he is big, black and hairy. Our other dog is a small pure bred  pug named Jayce. Both of them happily welcome anyone who comes to the door, instantly want to play and add a sense of security when anyone is home alone. If I am going to be living by myself, I am going to need a dog. Even at the age of 22, I am completely scared of the dark. A big, furry dog would help make living by myself better.

I love being home and every time I am here it is hard to leave. Knowing that this is the I will be out on my own after graduation is sort of overwhelming but exciting at the same time. I will truly be independent, living four hours away from my family in my own place while making my own money. Moving into my own place in Columbus is going to be fun, but no matter when I move in my life, no where will be as good as my home in Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment