Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Blue Barracudas, Banana Shorts and The Clams

Spring is one of my favorite times of the year. The sun finally starts to peak out from behind the winter clouds, the birds start chirping again and you can brave the outdoors without getting covered with snow or nearly blown away by freezing winds. I have noticed when spring rolls around, students become more active on campus. People begin running, walking and rollerblading the green monster. Both of the indoor weight rooms become more crowded with people trying to get in shape for bathing suit season. However, one of my favorite activities that the spring season brings is intramural volleyball.

Volleyball appears to be the favorite of all the intramural sports offered at ONU. This spring, I am playing on three different teams, the Blue Barracudas, Team Banana Shorts and the Clams. After the first week of games, my teams are 1-1, 1-1, and 0-2 (not as good as I was hoping). For those of you that are not familiar with ONU intramurals, teams can choose to sign up in three different leagues. The leagues are A, B and C. Each league has a different level of competitiveness. A is the toughest league, B is mediocre and C resembles a gym class. The rules also tailor to each league, for example, spiking and blocking is not allowed in C league.

Two of these teams I play on are in A league and one is in B league. This year, there are 12 teams competing in the A league and 24 B league teams. If you assume that each of these teams have at least six people on the roster, there are at least 216 students participating in volleyball intramurals. This is without adding the teams from another league too. It is clear that a large number of students enjoy playing volleyball. Volleyball is a team sport that is fun even if you are not very good. It allows people to get away from studying for 45 minutes and get together with friends by being active. This is an activity that allows students to laugh and have fun with friends while playing a sport. I highly recommend gathering a group of friends and signing up for a team. Intramural volleyball is fun, even if your team’s record is not the greatest (like all three of mine).

1 comment:

  1. I am so jealous that you are on 3 intramural volleyball teams! All of which have great team names might I add. I also look forward to spring and intramural volleyball. I enjoy being able to play the sport I love, without the competitive spirit.

    I can't believe how many students are participating this year! It's awesome that so many people like the sport as much as we do. And your right, volleyball is definitely a sport that is fun, even if you aren't the greatest because it's not like you have to be the fastest or strongest person on the court.

    I have so much fun during these games in the spring. We should get people together to play on the sand courts once the weather warms up! Hopefully my team meets your team sometime soon. You're going down! Haha.

    ReplyDelete